Classic Game Design: From Pong to Pac-Man with Unity
You too can learn to design and developclassic arcade video games like Pong, Pac-Man, Space Invaders, and Scramble. Collisiondetection, extra lives, power ups, and countless other essential design elements were inventedby the mostly anonymous designers at the early pioneering companies thatproduced these great games. In this book you'll go step by step, using modern, free software tools such as Unity to create five games in the classicstyle, inspired by retro favorites like: Pong, Breakout, SpaceInvaders, Scramble, and Pac-Man. All the source code, art, and sound sources for the projects are available on the companion files. You'lldiscover the fun of making your own games, putting in your own color graphics, adjusting the scoring, coding the AI, and creating the sound effects. You'llgain a deep understanding of the roots of modern video game design: the classicsof the '70s and '80s.
- Uses Unity, C#, Blender, GIMP, and Audacity to make five fun classic games
- 4-color throughout with companion files that include source code, art, and full projects (also available for downloading from the publisher by emailing proof of purchase to email@example.com)
- Includes historical anecdotes direct from one of the fabled Atari coin-op programmers
- Detailed step-by-step instructions, dozens of exercises, and rules of classic game design
- Contains unique insights on applying classic game design concepts to modern games.
About the Author
Lanzinger Franz: Franz Lanzinger is best known as the pioneering programmer and chief designer of Atari's Crystal Castles. Mr. Lanzinger is owner of Lanzinger Studio, publisher and developer of the Gubble series.